Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Comic Book Round Up - 13/09/06

Welcome to the first comic book round up. Im going to give my thoughts and opinions on what I've recently read comic wise. There are some amazing comics which aren't going to be reviewed here as im not reading them at the mo, something your interested might crop up though, if you really want my opinion let me know which comic it is and I'll give it a gander just for you.

So, the following is what I've read recently and my thoughts thereon -

I.O.N issue 5 -

Isn't it interesting that as Hal Jordon turns up it starts getting better? The last two issues though have really improved on the pacing and cohesion of the separate stories. The artwork hasn't really sat well with me since the beginning but I couldn't help but think it fitted almost perfectly here, either that or im just getting used to it.

Robin issues 152 and 153 -

It's taken some flak but I've enjoyed the recent run on Robin. I think the comments about Cain being out of character were valid but c'mon, the Lazarus pit does mess you up. These issues feature the new Captain Boomerang, which is cool as I haven't seen him since Identity Crisis. He works well here, in this nice little story which enjoyed some good input from Bruce.

52 issue 17 -

Cool to see Lobo but he doesn't exactly do much although he seems a little less goofy, a definite plus.

Finally another look in on Luthor, about time, im not sure what to make of his team, a little on the dull side. The speedster junkie reminds me of the Flash from Earth 3. Can't wait for more Black Adam. Black Adam rules.

Justice League issue 1 -

I was excited about this issue after the build up from issue zero. Despite moving slow I really liked it. You had a lot going on here, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman trying to decide on whos in the new team, meanwhile you've got separate stories with Vixen, Black Lightning and last but not least Red Tornado (what the hells a fatherbox!?). Oh, and lets not forget Green Arrow, poor dude.

I would have liked some critical questions to be asked. How many members will there be? Wheres the base of operations going to be? Im sure all this will be addressed, im just impatient to see the new team.

Wonder Woman issue 2 -

A big improvement on the first issue. It's nice to finally have some perspective on Diana although im left wondering who is the actual focus in this book. Is Diana coming back or is she returning to her secret persona?

Awesome to see Batman and Robin. I thought Wonder Girl was great here, Dr.Psychos manipulation by creating a Superboy dripping in blood was quite shocking as you don't expect anything so creepy in whats so far been a quite light hearted read. Not sure about the final page but I'll definitely be reading the next issue.

So that's it for what I've read recently, im sure i'll read some other stuff soon and have more to talk about.

Books I can't wait to read -

* Ultimate Spider-man issue 99 - after the events of last issue this is either going to sell this amazing turn of events or make it look like a gimmick. Knowing Bendis he'll probably pull it off.

* Trials of Shazam issue 1 - Black Adam and the Marvels have rocked in 52 and the preview in Brave New World was a treat to read. Need to lay my eyes on this bad boy.

* Next Wave issue 3 - I read the first two issues and was left with a pretty so-so feeling about it but I've heard that it really raises its game so im going to give the title a second chance.

* 52 issue 18 - Doctor Fate? Should be cool.

1 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger * (asterisk) said...

This is a cool idea for a blog, TWM. I'm so so so long out of the comic world that this will prove invaluable if and when I ever find a comic shop again! Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home